Sunday, May 18, 2008

3rd AutoX (Whitey’s Last Dance)

Well last Sunday was the third event of the 2008 Otto’s Autox series, held at the Boeing Helicopter Plant in Ridley Park. I have to say of all the events so far this season I had the most fun at this one. I’m not sure if it was the combination of the convenient location, small course, or beater nostalgia but I had a great time. The forecast was rain 9AM to 12PM, so I made the last minute decision to keep the Kuhmo ASX’s on. As it turns out the rain held off (at least for my heat :P ). Here were my times for the day:
Run 1: 64.07s + OFF COURSE
Run 2: 37.485s
Run 3: 36.371s
Run 4: 36.725s
Run 5: 36.080s

Of those times the last run was good enough for 9th place out of 10 novices. You might be wondering why the first run was nearly double. Being that this was a small course there were two sections where the course crossed over itself forcing the driver to repeat small areas. To the shock of the course workers & announcer, I decided to repeat the last section a second time. Naturally this didn’t help my time. It was a colossal mistake and I am very lucky that the next car hadn’t yet left the starting gate. Laughing it off, I went on to continue to shave the time off. It was an exciting event where the limits of the car became quite obvious. I was battling the cars body roll and struggling to maintain traction all morning. I pushed it hard and the car was very sloppy. Run 4 I tried to keep the sliding to a minimum and take it smoother and slower. This was a fruitless effort as I nearly spun out at the first skid pad section. Here are some action pics:




Overall the event was well run and I had a blast! Here are some other pictures of others in my run group. (Including Chase Ellis’s Mini Cooper S-GP :thumbup: )





In closing it is a sad day that whitey will now be parted and no longer raced. I will miss it’s slow motor, predictable over steer, and the fearless driving. Big thanks to Tom G & Dave Wei for the pictures of whiteys last dance…

No comments:

Post a Comment